Tuesday, January 14, 2020

100 Tunes Everyone Should Hear (#10) Billie Holiday

#10 - Billie Holiday with Teddy Wilson, Lester Young, Buck Clayton, Buster Bailey, Freddie Green, Walter Page, Jo Jones

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but for me arguably the finest jazz ever recorded was by Teddy Wilson with Billie Holiday in the 1930s. The records are an anthology of the absolute finest musicians, playing in the most relaxed, warm, intelligent manner. Every one seems a gem, and this one is typical of the beauty and soul of what they accomplished. As far as I'm concerned, this is what jazz should be.



This is not a comprehensive list, nor is it representative of the "most important" or "best." Instead, following Duke Ellington's adage that the greatest music and musicians are "beyond category", I'm starting 2020 by sharing 100 jazz tunes I feel everyone should have the chance to hear--really just tunes and performances that I love. ]