Friday, April 14, 2017

Gethsemane

This a tune of mine, part Gregorian Chant, part Klezmer, all Blues, meant as a mediation on Christ's prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane. I first wrote it about seventeen years ago, but haven't had the chance to perform it publicly. Recorded on a Tascam DR-40 in my studio just now. For some reason I like sharing rough takes, and this certainly is one. Blessings on everyone this Good Friday.
"Then Jesus came with them into a country place which is called Gethsemani; and he said to his disciples: Sit you here, till I go yonder and pray. And taking with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, he began to grow sorrowful and to be sad. Then he saith to them: My soul is sorrowful even unto death: stay you here, and watch with me. And going a little further, he fell upon his face, praying, and saying: My Father, if it be possible, let this chalice pass from me. Nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.And he cometh to his disciples, and findeth them asleep, and he saith to Peter: What? Could you not watch one hour with me?" (Matthew 26:36-46)