Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Advertising Etiquette

As mentioned earlier, this blog is quoted frequently--on eBay, Craig's List, and other places--perhaps most often when someone is selling equipment. While quotations are certainly fair game for anyone who publishes opinions on the web (or anywhere else), there is a right way and a wrong way to do it, and perhaps it's worth giving some hints on etiquette. Most of these have usually been followed when I've seen quotes up from this blog, but in case anyone is looking for guidance...

1) If you're going to quote, make sure you quote accurately. Don't change the prose. That's not a quote, it's misrepresentation.

2) Provide a link to the blog post being quoted, so everyone can read the entire context.

3) Don't plagiarize. It's unethical.

4) Remember that the music business is a very small world, and that we all ought to work together. This blog was started to share a perspective on clarinetistry--and to help others who might be looking for historical perspective or advice. I've kept advertising off the page, and I don't collect money from it. The Jazz Clarinet has averaged several thousand hits per month for several years now--even when I don't post very often. So I am reaching quite a few people out there. It's foolish to alienate other hard working people in the music business just to try to cut corners or make a buck.

5) Contact me first if you want my endorsement. I'm open to suggestions.

Well, back to practicing folks. I have some gigs coming up that I hope to share more about soon. Keep swinging!

Eric