Tuesday, February 4, 2020

100 Jazz Tunes Everyone Should Hear (#23) Charlie Barnet

#23 - Charlie Barnet - Cherokee/Redskin Rhumba 

Before the bebop crowd made it a test tune of virtuosity in 12 keys, "Cherokee" was the epic theme song for the Charlie Barnet Band. Charlie's soloing isn't flashy, nor was it intended to be, but his proclamation of the melody is unique, effective, and over the wah-wah pattern of the trombones, creates one of the truly great moments in jazz history.

I first heard this as a kid on a cassette tape that fell into my hands somehow. It was stolen, along with my first Sony Walkman on an 8th grade field trip. I wasn't too torn up about losing the Walkman, but wished the kid who took it had at least left behind the tape. It was years before I could find another copy!




This is not a comprehensive list, nor is it representative of the "most important" or "best." Instead, following Duke Ellington's adage that the greatest music and musicians are "beyond category", I'm starting 2020 by sharing 100 jazz tunes I feel everyone should have the chance to hear--really just tunes and performances that I love. ]